IRA killer went to gay pub 'by mistake'

Supergrass attacked and robbed after inviting men to house

  Related links

Double Cannabis bust for local police

Safer Neighbourhoods Teams

Acton Central 020 8721 2921
Ealing Broadway 020 8649 3573
Ealing Common 020 8721 2948
East Acton 020 8721 2708
South Acton 020 8649 3574
Southfield 020 8721 2946

Or E-Mail to :

Alternatively please contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555-111

Police look to community for neighbourhood watchers
Southfield SNT seek volunteers for schemes run by residents

Sign up for a free weekly newsletter from and

A former IRA assassin turned supergrass is claiming he had no idea a local pub was predominantly used by the gay community after he was robbed by two men he invited back to the home of a journalist he was house-sitting for.

Sean O'Callaghan had been an active member of the IRA until he was turned by the Irish police and became an informant. He was involved in the killing of a female member of the UDR and an RUC policeman. Unlike other so-called supergrasses he has not remained anonymous and has written a book about his experiences as well as a regular column in the Daily Telegraph.

He was staying in the home of well-known journalist and writer, Ruth Dudley Edwards, on Popes Lane in Ealing. One evening in September of last year he decided to visit the nearby pub, West 5, which has a predominantly gay clientele. 52 year old Mr O'Callaghan claims not to have been aware of the nature of the pub but that he had chosen it because it was the nearest to where he was staying.

He met two men at the pub and later invited them back to his friend's house. Once there they knocked him to the floor and he was threatened with knife and tied up whilst they burgled the house. Among the items stolen were cash, credit cards and Ms. Edward's computer which has not yet been recovered.

The police apprehended and charged Yousef Samham, aged 26, in relation to the incident. He denied the robbery saying that Mr. O'Callaghan had asked to be tied up as part of a bondage session.

Two men were seen leaving the house on a motor scooter and proceeded to use the stolen credit cards at a nearby service station. Father-of-two Samhan was identified by a finger print at the house and CCTV footage. He was convicted by a jury at Isleworth Crown Court and was sentenced to 5 and a half years in jail. The other man involved has not been caught.

August 23, 2006