Skipping The Permit

Hire company not resident now responsible

Related Links

£50 Cashback: Hit or Miss?



Sign up for email newsletters from,,

Comment on this story on the forum

Residents carrying out building work no longer need to apply to Ealing Council for a permit to have a skip on the road.
Following a change in the council’s policy, skip companies are now responsible for getting the necessary permission to have a skip on the public highway.

All skip companies and other firms offering to take away waste have to be registered with the council and the Environment Agency. 

A full list of all the registered companies is available under the skip licences section of the council’s website at

The skip hire company will also have to make sure they stick to all the rules, such as making sure the skip is properly lit at night to keep other road users safe.  The skip hire company will also have to apply for parking spaces to be suspended if the skip is being placed on the road in a controlled parking zone.

Cabinet member for Transport and Environment, Councillor Bassam Mahfouz, said: “We want to make life easier for residents, which is why we’re making it the responsibility of skip companies to get permission from the council.  I’d also warn those companies that if they operate without a permit or fail to make sure the skip is safe, we will take action against them.”


September 9, 2010