Happy New Year From Hanwell RFC

And a new season of play to look forward to

Related Links

Photo courtesy Stephen Brooks

Hanwell RFC V London Japanese

Crusade to beat Crags

Civil Service Barbarians vHanwell RFC

Hanwell v Black Baa Baas

Hanwell RFC Latest Reports

Hanwell Rugby Club Versus SODAM

Hanwell Rugby Club

Hanwell Feel The Dragons' Fire

Hanwell RFC are still recruiting players of any standard as well as a main club sponsor. Please contact John via hanwellrfc@outlook.com for more details.

Old Priorian Rugby Football Club


Sign up for our free Ealing newsletter

Comment on this story on the

After the Christmas break was extended due to the rain affected postponement last week, Hanwell RFC finally got back onto the pitch with a friendly fixture away to Chiswick RFC III's.

Hanwell began the game strongly with lots of pick and goes from the forwards providing them with good territorial advantage in which scrum half Alex Todman was able to unleash the backs.

Kenny Hassan, standing in at fly half for this game, consistently caused mayhem each time he received the ball with many of his trademark runs.

However, Chiswick came back strongly and it was only the ferocious defence of the visitors that denied the home side from scoring the opening try of the game. They did however cash in on some Hanwell indiscipline to nudge over a penalty to take the lead.

From the restart Hanwell hit back. The forward pack driving their way up the field in a move that was halted illegally by the home side. Unlike their hosts, Hanwell opted to kick for the corner and with the resulting lineout safely secured, formed a driving maul that rumbled it's way over the Chiswick try line for Myles Cavendish to score the first try of the game.

With the conversion missed, the game restarted 3-5 to Hanwell and it wasn't long until they were back on the front foot, with the forwards again driving their way up the field and providing clean ball for the backs to cut loose.
Another weaving run from Kenny Hassan put Chiswick under more pressure and following a turnover in their 22, an attempted clearance was charged down by debutant Jack Carroll (pictured) who collected the ball to run in his first try for the club and the second of the day.

 Again the extras were missed, Hanwell leading 10-3 when the game restarted. Unfortunately the visitors lost both their wingers to injury when Mo Osman pulled a muscle and had to leave the field, followed shortly after by another debutant Mark Haley who injured himself putting in a monster hit on his opposite number.

The change in personnel gave Chiswick a boost and they managed to roll over the Hanwell line to score a converted try that evened up the scores.
Hanwell fought straight back with yet another lineout win and maul securing a platform for Alex Todman to unleash a rampant Kirk Saunders, who bludgeoned his way through four attempted tackles to score under the posts. The conversion was successful and at the break Hanwell led 17-10.

The second half began with Hanwell struggling to adjust to the ever lowering winter sun and Chiswick breaking away to score early and levelling the score with the extras also being taken.

The remainder of the game continued to be close until Chiswick squeezed over in the corner to snatch victory in the last play of the game.


14th January 2014






Bookmark and Share