Chef Injured in Freak Explosion at Ealing's Charlotte's Place

Roof, doors and windows blown out in kitchen accident at busy restaurant

(Photo's supplied via Twitter)


Sign up for our weekly Ealing newsletter

Comment on this story on the

The owner of Charlotte's Place says an explosion in the kitchen of the restaurant last night (29/3) may have been caused by faulty gas cannister.

It happened around 8.45pm and the impact of the blast blew out the kitchen roof, windows and doors.

Pub-goers from the nearby Grange pub were evacuated and roads closed as emergency services dealt with the situation.

(( picture courtesy Tracey Carncross via Facebook)

A local resident told us:

'' I live on the same road as the restaurant so heard the bang then ran out to see what was going on. All the downstairs windows were blown out.''

Acting Head Chef, Will Dean, 22, was injured in the blast but immediately cared for by Doctors who had been dining in the restaurant. He has been taken to hospital and is being treated for burns.

Charlotte's Group owner Alex Wrethman said:

'' Investigations are ongoing but it looks like a freak accident in the kitchen, possibly involving a blow torch. I'm really upset and concerned that Will has been hurt but so very grateful to the Doctors who helped him on site, all the emergency services have been brilliant and I want to thank the neighbours who rushed to help.''

Will's father, Grant Dean has told us that he is travelling back from New Zealand and says Will has now been transferred to a specialist unit in Swansea.

He says he is also very grateful to the first responders and the doctors and nurses now treating his son.

(pic courtesy Vicky Saumarez)

Gas explosion - pic Hope Abbot
( photo supplied via twitter)

Charlotte's Place is expected to be closed for some time whilst damage is assessed and then repairs will be undertaken. Bookings will be transferred to Charlotte's W5.



29th March 2018



Bookmark and Share