Cockroaches To Go...

South Ealing takeaway fined for poor hygiene


Sign up for our free newsletter

Comment on this story on the

A cockroach-infested Indian takeaway in South Ealing has been ordered to pay £5,322.17 for breaching hygiene regulations.

Ealing Council’s food safety officers, on a routine inspection, on 28 August, 2012, found live and dead cockroaches all over Mumbai2Go at 190, South Ealing Road. Cockroaches were found on shelves, behind the tandoor oven, in a plug socket, in the wash up area and in an onion store room.

Rusty and dirty worktop of chest freezer used to make bread on

There was also no hot water, soap or hand drying facilities in the bathroom and the rusty top of the freezer was used for food preparation. Officers also noted a lack of food hygiene training for staff, “a foul smell” and “appalling lack of cleaning” which posed a risk to health and recommended a voluntary closure of the business for it to make urgent changes. A further inspection on 31 August, 2012, found that sufficient improvements had been made in order for the takeaway to reopen.

Dirty freezer at Mumbai2Go

A representative of owners, Mamaghar UK Ltd pleaded guilty at Ealing Magistrates Court on Thursday 6 June to six charges of breaching hygiene regulations. The business was ordered to pay £5,322.17, including £3,600 in fines, a victim surcharge of £20 and Ealing Council’s legal costs of £1,702.17.

Ealing Council leader Julian Bell said: “It’s revolting and completely unacceptable that this business was putting customers’ health at risk by preparing food for the public in such filthy conditions. Businesses should take note that they risk a heavy fine if they flout food hygiene regulations.”

Anyone who is concerned that a business is breaching food hygiene regulations should email or call 020 8825 6666.


12th June 2013



Bookmark and Share