St Barnabas' Celebrates its Centenary

Bishop of London presides over a special service

(photo credit: Lee Bolton)

Hundreds of people turned out to celebrate St Barnabas' centenary at a special service led by the Bishop of London, the Rt Revd Richard Chartres.

The church actually dates back to 1905, when a small congregation began to meet under the auspices of St Stephen’s Church at the junction of Pitshanger Lane and Castlebar Park. Some land was then bought by Dr Tupholme, Vicar of St Stephens to build on the site which it currently sits. It took several years to approve the designs and then build it.

The new church building was consecrated by the Bishop of London, Dr Arthur Foley Winnington-Ingram on Saturday 3 June 1916. In a significant link, the current Bishop of London brought the same crozier carried by Dr Winnington-Ingram one hundred years before.

The celebration service featured music by Haydn, with choir and orchestra, as well as hymns from the original dedication service in 1916. As it fell on the 90th birthday of the Queen, the Bishop also led the congregation in a prayer in her honour.

Following the service, the festivities continued with an Edwardian themed picnic. There were free refreshments for the local community and whimsical Edwardian entertainment, including stilt walkers, Punch and Judy shows, bubbleologists, magicians and Pearly Kings and Queens.

An Edwardian “Bake-Off” of home-baked cakes and desserts was judged by Anton Manganaro, BAFTA’s Head Chef.



Sign up for our weekly Ealing newsletter

Comment on this story on the


22nd June 2016







Bookmark and Share