Southall Robbery Pair Jailed

Woman and teen get fifteen years after complex investigation


Sign up for our free newsletter

Comment on this story on the

A woman and a teenager who worked together using disguises as part of a robbery team have been jailed for a total of 15 years.

The pair targeted people for their mobile phones and handbags and left a number of victims needing hospital treatment.

Sarah Hussain, 23 of Townsend Road, Southall and a 17 year old boy, also from Southall, were both sentenced to seven years imprisonment, after pleading guilty to conspiracy to rob on 14 January.

The 17 year old boy also pleaded guilty to possession of an imitation firearm with intent to commit an indictable offence after he was identified for using a handgun during the course of two of the offences. He was further sentenced to another one year's imprisonment to run consecutively.

Throughout the summer of 2010, 18 offences took place throughout the London boroughs of Ealing, Hounslow, Hillingdon and Richmond Upon Thames whereby they targeted people walking along quiet residential streets in the early hours of the morning. They would then attack the victims often using weapons.

Between 10 and 12 May two offences were committed by the pair who produced an imitation firearm and threatened the victims before stealing mobile phones and cash

In response to the robberies the Metropolitan Police Service launched Operation Dillon, led by the London Crime Squad in co-operation with local officers, in order to identify the couple and bring them to justice.

Their investigations identified a Ford Focus believed to be used in the offences as a get-away car which inquiries revealed was used by Sarah Hussain.

Following a proactive operation on 7 and 8 July 2010, the couple were arrested for conspiracy to rob and the victims of the robberies attended an identification parade where they were able to identify Hussain and the 17 year old as their attackers.

On 9 September 2010 the pair were charged with conspiracy to rob, and were remanded into custody. Due to the overwhelming evidence against them on 14 January 2011 they pleaded guilty.

Detective Constable Paul Brown, from the London Crime Squad, said: "It was apparent this pair believed they were too clever to be caught, using disguises and quickly disposing of the stolen property to ensure they could not be brought to justice.

"The London Crime Squad will vigorously pursue anyone who seeks to carry out these types of offences and place them before the courts where they can expect to receive lengthy prison sentences.

"I hope that the victims of this pair and their cowardly actions can take some comfort from the sentence and I would like to thank them for all their help throughout what has been a complex and challenging investigation."



12th April 2011


Bookmark and Share