|Hanwell Community Centre to Change Hands|
Ealing Council to take over local landmark
A historic Hanwell landmark, used as a location setting for TV and films, is to change hands.
Paperwork is being drawn up this month to transfer the responsibility of Hanwell Community Centre to Ealing Council from 1 April 2013.
The Centre is housed in all that remains of the Central London District Schools (known locally as The Cuckoo School) a poor law school, built in 1856 for the children of destitute families and orphans as a place to live and learn.
Its most famous pupil was Charlie Chaplin. The school closed in 1935 and the building was later taken over by The Hanwell Community Association who has leased the building ever since, becoming Hanwell Community Centre Ltd in 1992.
It's been used as rehersal rooms for major bands including The Who, Deep Purple and Led Zeppeling, and played its part in the film 'Billy Elliot'(2000).
The decision to move control of the centre in-house was made after Hanwell Community Centre Limited informed the council in November 2012 that they did not wish to go ahead with the new lease as agreed in court.
Sport, leisure and community use will remain the focus of the centre, with the council planning to join forces with existing and new community groups to increase use of the site and its facilities.
Leader of the council, Councillor Julian Bell, said: “Hanwell Community Centre is a local landmark and a fantastic community asset. We plan on working with the community to look for more ways local people can benefit from the site.”
The council invested £3.67million between 2009 and 2011 to carry out conservation repairs and refurbishment.
15th January 2013