Staff and customers put at risk of serious ill health
Owners of Gold’s Gym (UK) Ltd have been ordered to pay more than £60,000 for exposing customers and staff to harmful chemical vapours.
Enforcement action was taken against Gold’s Gym (UK) Ltd and company director Mr Kawaljit Singh Sandhu after members at Hanwell complained to Ealing Council’s regulatory services about a strong chemical smell in the building.
The smell was found to be coming from a chemical, Polycor, being used by builders renovating the gym in November 2013. The chemical smell, similar to a very strong solvent or paint, could be smelt throughout the building and made a number of people feel unwell with headaches and feeling sick for days after being in the building.
While investigating the complaints, officers found tubs of Polycor ISO BR 9199 being used by the builders. This product is toxic and contains Styrene, which is harmful when inhaled and irritating to the eyes and skin on contact.
Mr Kawaljit Singh Sandhu and Gold’s Gym (UK) pleaded guilty at Ealing Magistrates’ Court, on Tuesday, 27 January 2015. The company were fined £32,500 plus a £120 victim surcharge. Sandhu was ordered to pay £17,500 plus a £120 victim surcharge. The council was awarded £12,603.50 towards their costs.
Councillor Julian Bell, leader of the council, said:
: “The club showed no regard for their members or staff and the fines clearly reflect this. They put them at risk of serious ill-health. We are pleased with the court’s decision and hope it sends a clear message to businesses that we will not tolerate anyone endangering residents.”
Duplicate charges were bought against the company. Gold’s Gym (UK) Ltd and the director, Mr Kawaljit Singh Sandhu under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
3rd February 2015