Guilty of Killing Richard Mannington Bowes

Darrell Desuze due to be sentenced next month

Related Links

Teenager Who Admits Ealing Riot Killing is Named


Sign up for our free newsletter

Comment on this story on the

A teenage looter who pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of a peacemaker during last summer's disorder in Ealing will be sentenced on Friday.

Darrell Adrian Desuze, 17 of Bath Road, Hounslow pleaded guilty yesterday, Monday 12 March, at Inner London Crown Court of the manslaughter of 68 year-old Richard Mannington Bowes on 8 August 2011, on Springbridge Road.

He also pleaded guilty to violent disorder.

On the evening of Monday 8 August, Ealing town centre was subjected to widespread public disorder on what was, the third consecutive day of violence across London.

Darrell Desuze, then aged 16, was one of many who took to the streets to take part in the violence. The teenager had been travelling on a bus in west London with friends most of whom had received Blackberry messages indicating that there would be rioting in Ealing that evening. They then made their way into Ealing.

At around 10pm, Desuze became involved in one of many stand-offs against the police, during which hostile mobs threw missiles at officers. A number of fires were also being deliberately lit and shop windows and cars were being smashed.

At around 22:30hrs along Springbridge Road, officers came under sustained attack from rocks, bricks and glass bottles. On the same road, at 22:45hrs, Richard Bowes attempted to put out a fire which was started in an industrial rubbish bin.

Whilst he tried to stop the blaze, Desuze went up to Mr Bowes and punched him in the face. He fell backwards and struck the pavement. Desuze, who left Mr Bowes lying motionless on the ground, went on to loot shops close by, including William Hill, Tesco Express, Fat Boys Thai restaurant and Blockbusters.

Officers who went to his aid then became the subject of continual missile attacks from a hostile mob around them.

Mr Bowes was taken by ambulance to St Mary's Hospital in a critical condition with severe head injuries. He remained in intensive care for three days. Mr Bowes sadly died on 11 August.

A post mortem examination held on 13 August at Uxbridge mortuary and gave the cause of death as a head injury.

Prior to Mr Bowes' death, detectives had already begun the detailed and laborious task of going through hundreds of hours of CCTV footage in connection with his assault and the widespread rioting.

Media appeals to trace the suspect then followed. Members of the public, some of whom had witnessed and recorded events first-hand, began to provide information and pass on recordings made on personal mobile devices on the night. A number of these recordings formed the basis of crucial evidence presented at court.

On 12 August 2011 a 23 year-old man arrested in connection with the incident was subsequently released with no further action.

On 14 August Darrell and Lavinia Desuze were arrested at their address in Hounslow and subsequently charged on 16 August.

Detective Chief Inspector John McFarlane, of the Homicide and Serious Crime Command said:

"Richard Bowes was a local man who simply took to the streets in a bid to help. He was struck by Desuze for attempting to put out a fire. Desuze then went on to loot shops for alcohol and participate in running battles against the police.

"Mr Bowes was a quiet man who lived alone. That night he stood up against the attack of his community. The tragic events that night went on to shock a nation and inspire Londoners to come together and condemn the violence."

Detective Chief Superintendent Andy Rowell, Borough Commander at Ealing, said:

"This outcome brings back into focus the shocking events of the violence that Ealing endured back in August of last year. Mr Bowes was out on the street where he lived trying to do the right thing and paid a terrible price for doing so, leaving his friends a relatives devastated by the loss.

"Although of little comfort, those that knew him can be justifiably proud of his sense of right and wrong, and his bravery in challenging the behaviour that he witnessed that night.

"I would also like to pay tribute to the officers who, for hours, were in amongst some of the worst rioting in London, and in particular those officers who assisted Mr Bowes at the scene despite being continually under attack. I am very proud to have witnessed the overwhelming community spirit and drive in Ealing which has helped the area recover from last summer's turmoil."


Desuze is due to be sentenced on Monday 16th April at Inner London Crown Court.

The teenager had previously pleaded guilty on 24 November 2011 to four burglaries he committed on shops which were looted immediately after Mr Bowes death.

His mother, Lavinia Desuze, 31 will stand trial for perverting the course of justice on Monday 19 March at Inner London Crown Court.




13th March 2012


Bookmark and Share