Owner of Collapsed Building in Court

Two families in temporary accommodation after Monday's incident

Related Links

Pics courtesy Viv Ellis

Building Collapses in West Ealing



Sign up for our free newsletter

Comment on this story on the m

Ealing Council is taking action against the owner of a building which collapsed in West Ealing injuring two people.

The top floor of the terraced house on Hatfield Road in W13 - believed to have been illegally converted - was being demolished when it collapsed onto the flat below.

One man working at the site was trapped in the rubble and had to be rescued another man also received injuries.

The Mahmood family, who were inside their downstairs flat when it happened, feared for their lives and had to flee. Cab driver, Akmal Mahmood,45, said they were lucky to be alive.

The next door property was also damaged and Debbie Murphy who has three young children including a four week old baby, has also had to be rehoused.

Ealing Council say the building had been converted from office to residential use without proper planning permission.

They have been in contact with the owner, Mr Naib Sidhu, and served a planning enforcement notice ordering him to re-instate the building on 20 June 2012 but he failed to comply. They are taking legal action and there will be a court hearing to agree a trial date on Thursday 14 May at Ealing Magistrates’ Court.

A spokesperson said:

''The council’s civil response team were on site very soon after they became aware of the situation. The Building has been made safe and we have called in the Health and Safety Executive, who is conducting an investigation.

“The families affected have been provided with emergency, temporary accommodation by the council.''


14th May 2015