Northfields Allotments Third Open Day
Plotholders campaigning to save part of site from development open gates to public
Plotholders at London’s oldest allotment in Northfields, who are currently fighting plans to develop part of the site, will be throwing open the gates for their third annual summer open day.
The site dates back to 1832, when the Bishop of London enclosed it for use by the local community.
The original allotments were much larger, with land on both sides of Northfield Avenue. However, approximately thirty years ago the land to the west of Northfields Avenue was compulsorily purchased and built on.
There are now 141 allotments on the eastern side and over 70 people currently on the waiting list.
In September 2016, plotholders were informed by Pathways - the charity that owns the land- it intends to build on part of the site. The proposal has angered many and resulted in petition opposing the development.
The open day on Saturday 1 July will enable more visitors to see the allotments and get involved in a host of activities.
Visitors will be able to:
· Walk around the site and see what is growing;
· See the heritage plot and go inside the World War II Anderson shelter;
· Find out more about the site’s wildlife and history on a guided walk at 3pm;
· Talk to the resident beekeeper and taste Northfields Allotment honey;
· Visit the potager plot to see how to grow flowers and vegetables at home;
· See how one plotholder has made a wildlife friendly shed from recycled materials;
· Buy plants and local produce;
· Sit, relax and enjoy tea, coffee and cakes from the refreshment stall:
· Enjoy a glass of Pimms in the shade of the old apple tree.
Entrance will be FREE and dogs are allowed if kept on a lead.
Visitors should come to the main allotment gates at the north end of Northfield Avenue in West Ealing (opposite Dean Court).
Last year’s open day was a great success with 450 people visiting London’s oldest allotments to see for themselves what goes on at the historic site dating back to 1832.
For anyone with an interest in gardening, allotments, London’s history or simply curious about what goes on in a modern urban allotment, this will be an event not to be missed.
Further information about Northfields Allotments is available at: http://www.ealingdean.co.uk/
16th May 2017